Keep up to date with what is happening at DWA. We would also like to hear of other events and news which may be of interest to DWA Partners and Activists.
New Members for the Disability in Wales and Africa Committee
Disability in Wales and Africa (DWA) was established in December 2010 with the aim of ‘promoting the inclusion of disability, and the needs and contributions of disabled people, within the Wales Africa sector’.
DWA is currently seeking new members to join its Management Committee. The DWA Constitution requires the Management Committee to meet at least four times a year and more frequently, if needed. We would ideally like members to contribute to task focussed groups. Meetings are held either through Skype or face to face.
Our current Management Committee is made of a small, but dedicated, team of volunteers and we are looking for new members who have an interest in disability rights and inclusion, the third sector, human rights, social justice and international development, especially in Africa
We would particularly like to hear from people with skills and/or backgrounds in:
- Fundraising and income generation
- Business & commercial development
- Social media and compilation of newsletters
- Marketing, networking and campaigning
- Governance of a charitable organisation
Since its inauguration DWA has undertaken such activities as:-
- regularly running disability workshops and training sessions;
- research, reports, written materials and newsletters
- developing projects such as the Photographic Display (password, if needed, DWA) and – up and coming – ‘Tell Your Story’;
- supporting the development of Appropriate Paper-Based Technology – an alternative way of providing assistive devices for disabled children – including a research project into its impact;
- arranging for an African disabled activist to visit Wales.
DWA has recently adopted the slogan “Nothing About Us Without Us” to underpin its work. This emphasises our intent to promote disabled people’s participation and involvement
If you feel you are able to contribute to the work of DWA we would very much like to hear from you. Please contact:
Paul Lindoewood, DWA Co-ordinator, tel. no.: 01874 730900,
email: email@example.com .